Saturday, March 23, 2013

Powder Charge Black Powder

When it comes to shooting black powder everybody has a way they think you should come up with your powder charge: how many grains, what granulation, even what type of powder. Everyone has their own ideas but this is how I come up with my powder loads.
I use Goex Place Powder because its what I can get and like to use. Have shot elephant, 777, pyrodex, KIK, ect.
I like Goex so its what I use.
Everyone has a formula or saying for how many grains you need to use, here are a few.
50 grs for .50 cal or 40gr for .40cal ect
3 grains of powder for 7 grains of ball weight
Use 1.5 calibres of powder under .40cal and 2 calibres of powder over .40cal

My method I use for my .50 cal is go ahead and start at 30grs and go to 60grs and see where the best group is. Shoot from a bench and shoot five shoots the exact same why ( point of aim, don't change the sights, ect) and see which one gives you the best group. Then go from 60grs to 100grs ( you can shoot more if you want to but I don't like to hurt myself more that the target, also look at who made the barrel you are shooting and see what the maxim load is and don't cross that load) and see what gives you the best group in that range. Most guns will have a "high" velocity load and a "low" velocity load so to speak.
The moral of the story is shoot your gun with all the different loads and figure out what works best for your gun they are all different. Also I would recommend trying different powders sizes fff and ff and see if it likes one or the other better. 
Also wanted to mention like I did before do this from a rest don't change the sights and from a close rang of 25 yards so that you eliminate most of the human error and can see how the rifle is actually performing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment