Saturday, March 23, 2013

Underhammer Rifle

I have an under hammer rifle that is a Blue Grouse Lock with a Green Mountain Barrel.
Here on the Specs on it:
15/16 .50 cal 36" long 1-70 Twist
Blue Grouse Lock
57 SML Receiver Sight for Lyman Deerstalker orTrad
.260" High X .340" Wide 1/16" Ivory Bead Sight
Marbles Full Buckhorn Rear Sight 1 7/8" Long

 These are going to be the Final sights that end up on this rifle in as soon as I get them in the mail.
my load right now that seems to work the best is
.490 round ball
.015 patch material with bore butter
50grs Goex FFF  or for far shots 80Grs FFF
 
I have been experimenting with this rifle a lot lately. I started with different sights on it. In the back it had a semi buckhorn and just I flat blade on the front. I had to file the front sight down to get on paper once I did that I removed that and measured it so I could order a white bead the same height. The new front sight is on order and will have it sometime next week.

Now I'm on to experimenting with powder charges
I started with 3f
30grs and the away up to 50grs in 5gr increments
So far the best load for it I have found is 50grs of 3F
I also tried to find a high powder charge for it and I found that 80grs of 3F will put them in the same hole. So 50 for light load and 80 for high load.
Next week when I get my new sight going to try 2f and see if I get any better accuracy out of it.
I will do the same thing with it start with 30gr and work my way up to 50grs

For patch material I use pillow ticking from Walmart i buy a bunch of it at a time and then sight my rifle in for that bunch because the thickness varies with different bolts a little bit. I cut my own patches at the barrel or use my loading blocks and cut the patches when I load them the night before. I use TC Bore Butter as a lube for my patches. Some people like it some people don't to each their own. 

My goal with this rifle is to be able to shoot groups at 400 yards with it, this isn't going to happen overnight i am starting at 25 yards and working my way up to my goal. When I get to 100 yards am going to start using the lyman peep sight. I am also practicing shooting off hand. am going to start at 25 yards with that and work my way up to 100 with it as well because that how far they have use shoot at the target shoots i go to.

As far as loading the rifle goes i shoot it as long as i can without cleaning it some people swab between shoots i don't. With what I am shooting now I can shoot 40 rounds before I need to clean my rifle because it gets to hard to load. I seem to have very good accuracy doing it this way. Some people think you need to swab your barrel between every shot to make it uniform and the same every shot. But my feeling is if you are using a good lube and you ball and patch fit tightly they should be doing a good job keeping the barrel clean and not fouling the barrel. But sometime I am going to experiment and see if it does make a difference but right now going to shoot how I have been because its been working good for me.

Hope to post some pictures of my rifle and some of the targets I've been shooting am going to try and make some post about going to the rang and keep giving range reports as I shoot. Will also try and get some pictures of all my gear and how I load and ect. A picture is worth a thousand words so will try and get some of them up and going.




2 comments: